Sunday, May 20, 2012

A little help from family




The Old Six Mile Community Garden is very blessed with all the help that we receive.  Not only has our family gotten involved by also neighbors and friends.  It has also helped people connect to their childhood.  Recently a father of one of our Jr. Gardeners came over and started talking to Jim.  He said as a child he would come over to the very spot his son has a garden plot and help garden with Mr. Whipple, the owner of the home that we turned into a museum.  He donated some wood which Jim turned into some raised beds for watermelon.  He also explained that their used to be chicken coops on the property, which explains why the land is so fertile.

At the beginning of spring the museums lawn mower broke.  We were asking people for donations when my Aunt Colleen donated her parents, who recently passed away, lawnmower to the garden.  This donation came at a perfect time for us and we greatly appreciate them doing this for us.

One of my favorite things about having this garden is the way it has brought my family closer together.  Our entire family works in the garden, but nobody works harder than my nephew Brady.  He rides his bike over first thing in the morning, sometimes beating Jim and Pete, and starts working.  He has learned, much to his grandmothers dismay, how to drive the lawnmower/tractor.  I won't lie, I laugh every time I see him drive the mower all around the yard just to get a shovel from the garage.  Brady is probably one of the hardest working kids I have ever seen.  Today when I was there he was laying down burlap bags between the rows of plants.  By watching him you can see that he really enjoys being out there.  And I know Jim loves having him there.  These are memories Brady will never forget.  And we have the garden to thank for this.


 Brady explaining to me what is planted and where.  He knows where everything is and exactly what to do when he arrives.

 The Jr. Garden clubs lettuce is coming in great. I was pretty nervous when I watched those kids place the seeds in the ground.  I know they will be excited to see how well their plants have grown.

 The radishes are ready to be picked!  One of the girls from the club already come over to take some from her plot.  

 The zucchini is starting to bloom.  Won't be long till we will be making some fresh zucchini bread.

Our new cherry tree

No comments:

Post a Comment